Obvious Truths to show Humanity is Young
It seems that many Christians are afraid to defend the Bible against old earth “science”. There is nothing to fear. Nobody has to spend their entire life on the topic to see how simple it is to refute Darwinism and an old earth.
1. This doesn’t stem from a mere theory, but the laws of thermodynamics (heat transfer).
a. Matter and energy cannot come out of nothing. Either it’s eternal or its origin is outside nature’s laws.
b. All usable energy will have eventually been spent.
c. If (a+b), all usable energy would have been spent in eternity past, thus matter and energy came from outside of the scientific, testable laws of physics.
2. Gas expands and gravity pulls it back. This expansion is described by Charles’s law.
a. Newton’s law of gravity shows that the force gets exponentially weaker with distance.
b. The Big Bang would require high temperatures, thus a greater expansion of gases than in nebulae.
c. Gravity is insufficient to hold an atmosphere to the moon, big as it is, and the problem gets exponentially larger with the mass of a hydrogen atom and the astronomical distances in an explosion.
d. Stars could not have formed by themselves. Period.
3. The rock layers: They’re flat.
a. This shows the flat layers of sediment across the globe. It shows the sea floor with dunes.
b. You can see with a retreating wave at the beach that sediments are laid flat when water is flowing fast.
c. Slow currents do not grind down rock to make sediments.
d. Thus, the flat layers of sedimentary rock across the globe were created by fast flowing, sediment laden waters and not by regular ocean currents.
4. Convergent Evolution.
a. If evolution is true, there are hundreds of features that would have to have evolved more than once. Here are just a few examples. Flight (fly bat, pterodactyl, and bird), bioluminescence (fungus, bugs, and fish), camouflage (lizards, bugs, cuddle fish), and brains (animals, etc.).
b. Natural selection can only select for mutations that exist. These features statistically couldn’t exist even once by mutation, let alone in multiple taxonomic kingdoms. They had to have been designed.
5. Ponder this. Sexual reproduction could not have evolved, but “it did” many times: birds, bees, flowers, trees, us!
6. Evolution is statistically impossible. Mutations are almost always harmful. (See: ScienceAgainstEvolution.org)
1. Paganism is everywhere across the globe, from South Africa to Argentina.
a. Pagans deified their ancestors (apotheosis), or called them gods after death.
b. There are common stories everywhere, such as a flood to purge mankind, and a confusion of languages.
2. We can trace the genealogy of the monarchs of England back to Noah, not through Shem, but through Japheth.
a. We can trace the descent of many of the kings of Europe to Noah. (See the free book: After the Flood, Bill Cooper)
3. We know when and by whom cities, temples, and people groups were started by reading written history.
a. Eusebius wrote: “In the second book he lists […] ten kings, which […] lasted for longer than 400,000 years. Anyone who believes that these writers are telling the truth about such a huge number of years should believe all the other improbable stories that they tell. […] who can doubt that these stories are merely ravings and myths?”
b. Ancient historians thought that it was ridiculous to think we were around that long.
c. Most of the dates they calculated for different groups came to within a few hundred years of the same date for the start of mankind. They usually started their lineage with some “god” or other.
1. Pascal's wager says that our lives are short compared to eternity. A betting man would place his money with the small cost, huge benefit of devotion to Christ, and not with the huge cost, small benefit of atheism.
a. No other religion compares with that revealed by Jesus. No other can pass intellectual muster.
b. The objection to this argument suggests that a God would honor an honest commitment to primitive impulses over a personal choice.
c. This objection is countered by revelation. Jesus rose from the dead, and his disciples died for that truth. They said to reject sinful impulses.
d. As with the story of the Garden of Eden in Genesis, we all have a choice. Is it worth the gamble?
2. Scripture interprets Genesis as a literal plainly written history.
a. In the Ten Commandments, written by the finger of God, God used the historical event of the 7th day rest to support his requirement of a 7th day rest for Israel. (Ex. 20:11)
b. Jesus, when questioned about divorce, used Adam and Eve (“God made them male and female.”) as a historical support for a moral principal. (Mt. 19:3-8)
c. In Heb. 11, the faith chapter, he recalls that Abel is long dead, bringing what might have been fiction into the realm of reality. He also mentions Enoch and Noah, who both lived to “impossibly old” ages.
3. There are prophesies of our time. The most impressive is in 2 Peter 3.
a. Verse 4 says that people will say that everything is exactly the same since the world was created. You can safely read uniformitarianism, otherwise known as extrapolating current processes into the past.
b. Verses 5-8 talk about a future people denying Creation and the flood. God is patient (v. 9).
c. There are many other accurate prophesies of our time. Don’t be taken in by the skeptic's rhetoric.
4. This flier was designed for Christians, especially this last argument. You have to remember that we’re doing spiritual battle in this world. We have an enemy, and he is planning his battle strategy. Why does he spend so much effort on this issue? If you even try to put your foot in the door, you’re shouted out of the room or laughed off the stage. The enemy knows that Genesis is the foundation of our history, and our history is the support for our moral positions. The Bible is our source of truth. If he can discredit the account of the fall of man, he discredits the purpose for which our Savior came to earth. If he can sow the seed of doubt about the age of the earth, our conclusions will be supported on a shaky foundation. Our enemy knows, the battle of Christianity is lost without Genesis. Take some time to look into the history of man. You won’t regret it.
These arguments are for those who are honestly looking for evidence. These arguments are not acceptable to anyone who has made their choice against God and is looking for reasons to reject the supernatural. Truth will be true, no matter what you think about it. Conform your mind to truth. (Eph. 4:17-18) Conform your actions to righteousness. (Mt. 5:20) Align your desires with God's. (Luke 22:42)
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." (Ro. 12:2)